Takings and Eminent Domain

Government entities and other public service agencies must occasionally acquire private property for public use.

The process of acquiring private property for public use is called eminent domain or condemnation. When property is taken, the owner has a constitutional right to receive fair compensation.

Below you will find information about the eminent domain process in Utah and this Office’s role in helping individual land owners.

If your property is being acquired for a public use, please call the Office for further information and free assistance. We look forward to speaking with you.

You may find additional information about your rights as a property owner here: